Elastic Spaces Third International Symposium 2017
October 11-13, 2017 | Bath Spa University, UK
Elastic Spaces is an international research project exploring the intersections of art practices and viewing technologies such as augmented reality, outdoor projection, mobile media, virtual reality, stereo video. It is exploring physical and virtual spaces, their representation and the relationship of the body to those spaces, from physical movement to human migration.
This 3rd symposium follows two previous symposia in Concordia University, Montreal (in 2015 and 2016). It is a chance for project members and colleagues to share their practices and for interested colleagues and students to contribute to the future development of the international partnership.
The three days will take place at Bath School of Art and Design (Sion Hill), Bath City Centre, and College of Liberal Arts (Newton Park).
Wednesday, 11th October
Bath School of Art and Design
12:30pm – Registration & Lunch Reception (for delegates and guests)
13.45pm – Anthony Head and Leila Sujir – Elastic Spaces introduction and update:
Jeremy Gardiner | Unfolding Landscape – Drawing and Painting the Geometry of the Coast.
- Anastasia Ferguson: The “Magic” of New and Antiquated Technologies.
- Francisco Gonzalez-Rosas: Networked self-representation: from the mobile screen to the video installation.
- Paul Landon: Forgetting cinema
- Robert Luzar: Spacing and Counter-demonstrations.
- Lee Scott: Finding Lucy Yesterday: temporal dislocation via binaural sound in the mobile opera, ‘Fragments’
- Sam Wilkins: Composites: The use of painting in film and visual effects
5:45pm – Dinner Reception (for symposium delegates and invited guests only!). 🙂
Thursday, 12th October
Bath City Centre | All Participants
10:30am – Meet at Bath City Centre, outside Green Park House
Guided walk around Bath with Richard White
Not A History Walk: the enchanted city disenchanted
Experimental conversations in movement: on foot and on line, sense-ing, sharing, gathering, revealing something of Bath’s reluctant heritage. An invitation to join a curated performative walk producing and exploring embodied knowledge as part of socially engaged practice.
- Bring you smart mobile device. If twitter account , send Richard a @tag and use #walknow & #ESUK2017 during the walk.
13:45pm – Back to Bath School of Art and Design at Sion Hill Campus
2:00pm – Elastic Spaces Think Tank – Workshop with Gary Sangster
4:30pm – Anita Taylor Keynote | Drawing, the Body: Interrogating Appearances
5:15pm – Research Presentations
- Brigitta Zics: The Role of Experience in Art.
- Philippe Battikha: Halo
- Santiago Tavera: Virtual Narratives of Dislocation.
- Richard White: Sweet Waters: walking as epistemology
- Lydia Halcrow: Drawing an embodied line through space, place and time.
Friday, 13th October
Newton Park Campus, Commons Building
- Lee Scott/Sam Wilkins: VR demonstrations: 3D drawing (TV Studio B)
- Neil Glen: MediaWall Workshop
- Santiago Tavera, Ana Ferguson, Francisco Gonzalez and Philippe Battikha: VR Broadcast Session.
12.00pm Lunch and tour of Newton Park campus
- Lee Scott/Sam Wilkins: VR demonstrations continued (TV Studio B (until 3pm))
- 1.30pm Robert Luzar: Demo 1 (TV Studio A)
- Balazs Janko/Anthony Head: Acrosense, wearable sensors and visualisation
Evening, Victoria Gallery, Bath
Howard Hodgkin Exhibition Launch Event (evening)
Saturday 14th October
12.30 – Bid writing session
Bath School of Art and Design
Sion Hill Campus
Lansdown, Bath, BA1 5SF
Bath City Centre, outside Green Park House
Green Park House Accommodation,
6 Green Park Road, Bath, BA1 1BQ
Newton Park Campus
Newton St Loe, Bath BA2 9BN